MAKING YOUR HOUSE A HOME
Updated: May 20, 2020
There is no feeling quite like getting the keys to your first rented or bought property. It starts as bricks and mortar, but what truly makes it your home?
Sometimes, you walk into a property and it just has it. You can’t put your finger on it but it has that je ne sais quoi, the perfect combination of style yet comfort and somehow its own persona. Let’s face it, we all want that Carrie Bradshaw penthouse that was just too good to be true, so here is a small list of top tips that we think is a good place to start to create your dream space:
1. The ultimate compliment is that your home reflects YOU. So don’t forget to trust your gut. It’s great to have opinions from friends and family, but you are the one who lives there so your opinion means the most. Have a think about what colours and themes reflect you and your personality and use this as your foundation to build upon.
2. Take your time. The best thing about buying a house is experiencing those early days of devouring pages of inspiration from home interior magazines, following inspiring homeware instagrams and finding your favourite homeware blogs. Take your time wading through a market, which is full to the brim with information and digest it at whatever speed you need to. There is no point rushing things you aren’t sure of, and having to come back and redo later on. There is no race in creating your dream home.
3. Be inspired. It's absolutely fine to take snippets out of other people’s homes and use these as a mix of ingredients to create your sanctuary. The social media industry can have negative connotations, but take advantage of its positives and have a look at what everyone else is doing. You might be one of those people who has a clear vision of what you want for your home, but it’s OK not to have that vision initially too. One of my favourite outlets is Pinterest, I often use this as my mood board, constantly adding inspiration daily until I make my decisions.
4. Art. Art doesn’t have to be obscure, you can have art in your home and it truly means something to you. It can often be a focal talking point when having guests over. A good way to incorporate art is in the form of photographs. If you have a good crowd of people you love around you, there is nothing better than seeing their faces as you walk up the stairs. Don’t underestimate the joy of seeing grandparents smiling at you as you do that Saturday hinch or when you have had a bad day at work.
5. Finally, use what you have to the full! Happiness isn’t a destination, it’s a feeling, it’s when you decide you have enough not when you physically have enough. So if you’re on a budget, great! Some of the best and happiest homes are built by families with the smallest incomes but but the biggest hearts and bucket of love. Upcycle those family heirlooms, make a project out of a bargain purchase and be content with the budget you have. This is your time to build a home, it’s an incredible journey with or without that fireplace you can’t afford! You have done so well to get this far already, we can’t wait to share your journey with you.
TEMO DESIGNS X